Friday 15 May 2015

Moving house

It was like any other day, my dad picked me up from school in our big silver mini van and when we returned home mum was making my sister and I a snack for afternoon tea. Except today Mum and Dad sat there and watched us eat, I shot Lilly a confused look as soon as they sat down, we knew something was up.
"WERE MOVING TO AUSTRALIA?!" Lilly screamed in shock. Frankly, I couldn't manage to get any words out so I stepped back and let Lilly begin the rant for me. "WE CAN'T POSSIBLY MOVE ACROSS THE WORLD! WHAT ABOUT MY FRIENDS? WHAT ABOUT SCHOOL? AND WHAT ABOUT NATIONALS!?' she said as she gestured towards me, I had just been qualified to participate in this years USA under 18's cross country nationals. I loved running, it cleared my head and made me feel amazing afterwards. But after this shock, will I still be able to compete? "unfortunately we need to be in Sydney by July and Nationals are in September, so no you can't go to nationals" my dad said calmly. My heart dropped, that race was all I lived for, every training session and every drop of sweat has all gone to waste now. everything was for nothing.

I looked out the plane window with hot tears rising in my eyes, I let them fall onto my soft cheeks as i took a heavy breathe out. I, am moving to, Australia. I, am moving to, Australia. I repeated in my head. i turned back to my sister Lilly, "c'mon it'll be fun, imagine waking up every morning and running across the street to the beach" she said positively, "then getting attacked by a shark and decaying at the bottom of the ocean with no limbs left attached apart from your head, barely hanging on" I replied with. I guess Lilly had changed her perspective on moving, after she learnt that we will live on the beach and attend an all girls school with surfing lessons and free milkshakes every Friday. It had been 2 months since I found out we were moving, and not for a second have i been excited to do so. The plane landed rough but as soon as i stepped outside i knew it would be perfect for running. the air was not as thin as Idaho and the weather was the perfect balance. No, i must get running out of my head, I must stop thinking about it.

I have to admit, our house was pretty cool. My bedroom led onto a balcony with ocean views and I had my own walk in robe. As I was carrying one of my boxes up the driveway to the house a group of runners about my age stopped and began approaching me. No I shouldn't think about it, I can't think about it. "Hi, did you just move here? " said a tall, surfer chick looking girl with her long blonde ponytail falling onto her shoulder. " um yeah," i replied shyly. " can we help you move in? you will get it done much faster" replied the girl as she shrugged to her friends. I looked over to the moving truck piling with boxes. It would be a lie not to say I needed help, "yeah actually that would be great thanks." "okay, I'm Courtney by the way. and this my running club. Do you like running?" she said as she coincidentally picked up the box filled with my running trophies and medals. "Yeah, i guess" I said as i stared intently waiting for her reaction. "whoa, is this, is this yours??" " Yep, it was kinda just a hobby back in Idaho." " this doesn't look like much of a hobby! age champion five years in a row, state champion. well if your looking for someone to run with we meet every morning at 6" she replied with everyone standing around Courtney eagerly. Should I? I can't just give it up that quickly. It won't be that hard to try, right? " Actually i would love to, i'll see you tomorrow then?" i forced myself to say.  "Sure, I can't wait to see you run" replied Courtney as the group began running back down the street. a smile stretched across my cheeks as I thought to myself that i actually might like this place.

Hope you like this one, Neve xx

No comments:

Post a Comment